Thursday, October 21, 2010

The power of prayer

Pray.

Run.

Pray.

Eat.

Pray.

Sleep.

Pray.

Repeat.

And Pray.

The power of prayer is undeniable, and, fortunately, I've come to understand this at an early stage in my life. My family (both my mom and dad's sides) were raised devout Catholics, and faith has been a part of my life since before I could sit on my own. And now, when I face problems of my own, I know there's only one place to go.

To my knees.

My grandma June always prayed one rosary a day. And if she forgot, she would wake up in the middle of the night and pray it, right then. Now, my Aunt Lisa does the same. I remember sitting in the nursing home, as my grandma faced her last few days in this life. And as she sat there, Aunt Lisa on one side and me on the other, there was only one thing left to do.

Pray.

And now, when I hear that someone is sick, dying, suffering, having a hard time or just in need of a little extra boost, I know exactly where to turn. I make the sign of the cross, fold my hands and bow my head.

And then, I leave it up to Him.

I couldn't be more thankful for my faith and more confident that everything will turn out, just as He planned. My parents believe it, my aunts and uncles believe it, and my grandma demonstrated it every single day.

Prayer is powerful.

It's hard for me to imagine people who aren't able to do that, who have nowhere to turn and no one to talk to when the going gets tough.

Pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment